Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas gift

It appears that Santa ran out of coal by the time he visited my laboratory in Champaign, IL, this Christmas season.  I knew that my prospects of being on the "Nice" list were pretty low, but I wasn't expecting this.


Since there's a slight chance that Santa was not the culprit, I immediately launched into a forensic examination of the evidence to perhaps reveal who the perpetrator was.  Initial analysis revealed the hand-writing to be extremely poor, of the 3rd grade variety.


However, after the administrative coordinator's son was ruled out, it appeared that there were no other options besides grown-ups.  I immediately thought of my undergrad assistant, since he has a fairly substantial criminal background in this sort of thing, but again, the trail went cold.  There were absolutely no misspellings, ruling him out.  The only other option I could think of was a fellow grad student who had written the note with his/her non-writing hand.  But that hardly narrows it down at all.  

Matt had no idea who it could be either...


Seems that there's some subtlety I'm overlooking.  


So anyways, left in this unfortunate situation, there was only one option I had left: re-gifting.  


Problem solved.  On to other news, we finally received our trophies (T-shirts) for winning the spring season city soccer league.


Not too bad.  And they definitely don't leave out any information:


Not redundant in the least.  Only had to wait several months to get them.  So now I have a championship t-shirt from the fall intramurals and the adult city league.  Only missing the men's intramural indoor.  Let's see if we can get up to a three-peat by the time I get out of here (Plenty of time).

5 comments:

  1. your last 2 pics are awkward.. and i feel more awkward thinking that you took the first pic with a timer and then looked at it. and zoomed it in a little and then took another pic on timer again

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...
    You get welcomed by a pink balloon with a cute message, and I get a roach?
    You may want to replace that with something nicer..or may be more welcoming ya know. Just a suggestion to avoid any future troubles with your neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wes, hope the pictures are less awkward now. I don't use the timer though. I simply ask friends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend).

    Ritz, I thrive on conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. please? (blinking eyes....) ...

    ReplyDelete