Monday, January 17, 2011

Typical Weekend

Today was pretty exciting for me.  Since it's a national holiday, all the parking meter guys get the day off, meaning that all of us graduate students can indulge in free parking campus-wide, except in handicap spaces and lots that are rented out 24/7.  All those Mon-Fri, 9-5 lots?  OURS.  University meters?  OURS.  I didn't get to work today until around 11 AM, but it still didn't matter.  There was so much parking I almost cried.

In stark contrast to this incredibly atypical Monday, my weekend was about as typical as they come, which doesn't mean that it wasn't awesome.  One of the great things about the weekend is having a better chance of eating with the guys.  Although most of us are (relatively) decent chefs, the best is when we all feel like getting something incredibly unhealthy all at the same time.  Since there was some pretty important football happening, we all opted for Hooters wings.  Six of us guys went through 70 of those no problem.


We actually did do a lot of cooking for ourselves, though.  Soup one meal and pasta another.  BD had the most popular concoction, however, with his first attempted multilayer dessert: lemon bars.  This is what the contemporary bachelor's kitchen looks like.  No recipe book, just the internet.  Our mixing bowl is tupperware.


I meant to ask BD whether the recipe actually called for the flour to be shaped like a volcano or not.


Here is the man at work.


Incredible crust pressing technique.


And finally, several hours later, the finished product.


BD trying to be emo.  (Didn't have to try too hard...)


Me, with the opposite reaction.


While not watching TV, eating, or sleeping, I spent the rest of my weekend reading on the lazy boy, the throne of the grad student suite.


It's perfect, because I can only read about 20 pages before I get exhausted and need a nap.  I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to say with that face, but probably something like, "Man, don't you wish you had a chair like this?"


Just pull that little lever and you're good to go.


It was a great break.  Alas, all the students are back tomorrow.  Back to crowded mayhem.  

2 comments: